Sunday, February 27, 2011

Guest Speaker*

           In class, on Thursday we had a guest speaker named Margie Newman. Ms. Newman came to our class to speak about different types of websites and also how to work them. She also talked about how technology has changed. I really enjoyed listening to her speak because what she was saying was very exciting. She said some things I have not even heard of before like for example the website www.namechk.com . It is amazing how you can type your name into the search box and get all these different types of websites that may be linked to you rname or username. The website also tells you which websites are not linked to your name, which you can create something on that website if you would like to. Ms. Newman brought up another website called www.aboutme.com , this is a website where you can say whatever you want about yourself, upload a picture and others can view it. She also stated some things which opened my eye. They were about online privacy and also putting your personal information on the internet. I always wondered is everything you put on the internet protected? After listening to Ms. Newman, she answered my question. She stated "nothing on the internet is private, whatever you put on the internet you are putting it out there for whoever to see it." That REALLY opened my eyes because I should really watch what type of pictures and also watch the things I say on the internet. Even though I, do not put anything personal on the internet, some of my friends and family do. After, our class on Thursday I should really explain to my friends and family about how putting personal information is not good to put on the internet. Lastly, she talked about how colleges can look on your Facebook, Twitter, and etc. pages if the know you are applying to their college. If they see anything they do not like that could be your chance to not get into that college, just because of one little thing you put on that website. By, saying that watch what you put on the internet, because even though the internet is a safe place, it can also be a very dangerous one as well. I really enjoyed Ms. Newman and wish she would caome back to speak to us again.

No comments:

Post a Comment